Speak Easy.

You're here, and we love you for it.

Thursday, July 14, 2005

Warm summer nights

Being a truck driver might be a crappy job if you had to do it everyday, but I must say I had a pretty sweet time masquerading as a truck driver last night. Dad needed some sleep and asked me to help him out, so I did. I was sent on a mission to lovely Battle Creek, Michigan to pick up some decrepid old cows at the sale barn. It was amazing. I left at 11:00 PM and it was 75 degrees. Nothing beats driving with the windows down on a 75 degree night. I cranked up a little live Pat Green, circa 1998, and I was flying high. The cows and I rolled out of Battle Creek around 12:30 AM. We were on our way to Hudsonville, which meant an hour and a half more of warm wind and good driving music. I'm not sure, but I think the cows were getting in the spirit too (I didn't let them in on our little secret about what their fate would be about 5 hours later...). I dropped the moo cows off in Hudsonville around 2 AM and gave them their last supper, which consisted of hay and hay-flavored water. Now it was time to feed the driver.

Since only the drive-thru is open at Mickey D's at 2:00 am, I had two choices: walk through the drive-thru, which I understand is frowned upon by the good folks at McDonalds, or drive through with a 32-foot trailer. Like a lot of white males, my self-confidence is quite a bit higher when I'm behind the wheel, so I decided to drive through. It took some maneuvering, but I got er done. The girl in the drive-thru found this somewhat amusing. This led the way to my first and likely only flirting experience in the Mickey D's drive thru. Maybe it was just because I was a trucker yesterday and everything female looks attractive, but she was kinda cute. (OK, all kidding aside, she really was cute). Anyway, I think I killed the conversation when I reminded her that the cuddly old cows I hauled were going to be mutilated in a matter of hours. Apparently she doesn't know where Big Macs come from.

The drive home from Hudsonville wasn't quite as fun as the rest of the trip, mostly because I was out of good tunes, but it was still a nice night to be out. I went to bed around 3:00 with no thoughts of even attempting to go to the gym today. Hopefully I'll be able to hit the ball a little better in the big games tonight. We'll call it an experiment. Until next time....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home